Are you thinking about applying for the CHED Merit Scholarship for 2024-2025?
This guide is here to help students who want to apply for the scholarship. It has all the information you need to understand and apply for the CHED Merit Scholarship for the upcoming academic year.
You’ll learn about the application process, who can apply, what documents you need, and when everything is due for the CHED Merit Scholarship in 2024-2025.
Keep reading because, By the end, you’ll have the details you need to apply and pursue this scholarship opportunity.
Table of Contents
Brief overview of the CHED Merit Scholarship Program
The CHED Merit Scholarship Program (CMSP) is a government-funded scholarship that aims to provide support for academically talented students, particularly those belonging to certain special groups such as
- underprivileged and homeless citizens (RA 7279),
- persons with disability (RA 7277), and
- solo parents and/or their dependents (RA 8371).
This scholarship is available for incoming freshmen who wish to pursue their undergraduate studies in any CHED-recognized priority program in either private higher education institutions (HEIs) or State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) and Local Universities and Colleges (LUCs).
A qualified student may receive either a full or partial scholarship under the State Scholarship and Private Education Student Financial Assistance (PESFA).
The financial assistance covers not just tuition and other fees, but also provides a monthly stipend to cover living expenses.
All in all, the CMSP presents an excellent opportunity for promising Filipino students to pursue their higher education aspirations without having to worry about the financial burden that comes with it.
If you’re looking to apply for a program or service, it’s essential that you know the eligibility requirements.
The following are the requirements:
- Filipino Citizen
- Graduating High School / High School Student General Weighted Average (GWA)
- FULL MERIT- at least 96% or its equivalent
- HALF MERIT – 93% to 95% or its equivalent
- MUST enroll in recognized priority programs in Private Higher Education Institutions (PHEI) or State Universities and Colleges (SUCs)/ or accredited Local Universities and Colleges (LUCs) with Certificates of Program Compliance (COPC);
- Combined Annual Gross Income of parents/guardian not to exceed Four Hundred Thousand Pesos (Php 400,000), or Solo Parent/ guardian whose annual gross income does not exceed the said amount.
- Avail of only ONE government funded financial assistance program.
- Citizenship: Certified true copy of Birth Certificate
- Academic Requirements:
- High school report card for incoming freshmen students eligible for college; and
- Duly certified true copy of grades for Grade 11 and 1st semester of Grade 12 for graduating high school students
- Income Requirements (whichever is applicable)
- Latest Income Tax Return (ITR) of parents or guardian;
- Certificate of Tax Exemption from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR);
- Certificate of Indigence either from their Barangay or Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD);
- Case Study report from DSWD; and
- Latest copy of contract or proof of income, for the children of Overseas Filipino Workers and seafarers
- Other Requirement
- Identification Card (ID) – Special Group (Underprivileged or Homeless, PWD, Solo Parent, Senior Citizen, Indigenous People)
The financial aid provided by this scholarship program includes the payment of tuition and other school fees, a stipend that will be given directly to the scholars or through their respective higher education institutions (HEIs), as well as a book and connectivity allowance per semester for the entire duration of their degree program.
|Book/ Connectivity Allowance
|Book/ Connectivity Allowance
How to Apply
Step 1: Prepare the complete documentary requirements
Step 2: Scan the documentary requirements clearly.
Step 3: Send the application and documents ONLINE to your respective CHED Regional Office.
CHED Priority Courses
Engineering and Technology
- Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
- Ceramic Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering / Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Food Engineering
- Geodetic Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Manufacturing / Production Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Robotics Engineering
- Sanitary Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Aircraft Maintenance Technology
- Aviation Related Programs
- Engineering Technology
- Industrial Technology
- Mechatronics Engineering Technology
Information Technology Education
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security
- Entertainment and Multimedia Computing / Game Development and Animation
- Information System
- Information Technology
- Library and Information Science
Science and Mathematics
- Applied Physics / Physics
- Applied Mathematics / Mathematics
- Applied Statistics/ Statistics
- Environmental Science
- Human Biology
- Marine Biology
- Marine Science
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Architecture and Related Programs
- Fine Arts
- Interior Design
- Landscape Architecture
- Environmental Planning
Business and Management
- Business Analytics (straight major)
- Hospitality Management/ Hotel and Restaurant Management
- Tourism Management/ Tourism
- Maritime Engineering Marine Transportation
- Secondary Education major in Science and Mathematics
- Culture and Arts
- Early Childhood Education
- Special Needs Education
- Sports and Exercise Science
Health Profession Education
- Doctor of Dental Medicine
- Doctor Of Optometry
- Medical Technology / Medical Laboratory Science
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Radiologic Technology
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech Language Pathology
- Community Development
- Human Services (Guidance and Counselling)
- Indigenous Peoples Studies/ Education
- Peace Studies/ Education
- Social Work
Multi and Interdisciplinary Cluster
- Data Science and Analytics
- Disaster Risk Management/ Climate Change
- Renewable / Sustainable Energy
Deadline of Submission
It’s important to note that the deadline for submission for the CHED Merit Scholarship for the 2023-2024 academic year has already passed on May 31, 2023.
However, this article serves as a preparation guide for those who are interested in applying for the next CHED Merit Scholarship that might open this May 2024.
We will keep you updated on any further information, so stay tuned.
Tips for a Successful Application
Applying for the CHED Merit Scholarship Program is a competitive process, and it’s essential to ensure that your application stands out from the rest. Here are some tips to increase your chances of being accepted:
- Meet the eligibility requirements: Before applying, make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements. Check your academic qualifications, citizenship status, and other requirements to avoid wasting your time and effort.
- Apply early: Submit your application as early as possible to avoid any last-minute issues. Waiting until the deadline may lead to technical problems or difficulties in obtaining necessary documents.
- Write a compelling essay: The essay is a crucial part of your application. Make sure to write a well-structured and persuasive essay that showcases your academic achievements, future goals, and how the scholarship will help you achieve them.
- Obtain strong recommendation letters: Recommendation letters from your teachers or professors can significantly improve your application. Choose recommenders who know you well and can provide a detailed and positive evaluation of your academic abilities.
- Double-check your documents: Ensure that you have submitted all the required documents and that they are complete and accurate. Any missing or incorrect information can lead to disqualification.
- Be prepared for the interview: If you make it to the interview stage, be prepared to answer questions about your academic achievements, future goals, and how the scholarship will help you achieve them.
By following these tips, you can enhance your chances of being accepted into the CHED Merit Scholarship Program and receive the financial assistance you need to pursue your academic goals.
In conclusion, the CHED Merit Scholarship Program is an excellent opportunity for academically talented Filipino students who belong to special groups and wish to pursue their undergraduate studies in recognized priority programs.
By providing financial assistance that covers not just tuition and fees but also living expenses, the program helps students alleviate the financial burden of pursuing higher education.
If you’re interested in applying for the scholarship, make sure to meet the eligibility requirements, prepare your documents early, and follow the tips mentioned in this guide to increase your chances of success.
Keep an eye out for the next application period, and we wish you the best of luck in your academic pursuits.
- Commission on Higher Education. (2024, January 9). CHED Merit Scholarship Program Application Guide 2024-2025. Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/merit-scholarship/