What is DOH
The Department of Health (DOH) refers to the government agency responsible for the formulation and implementation of health policies, programs, and projects in the country.
With a mission that resonates with the heart of every nation – the well-being of its citizens – the DOH is tasked with a formidable responsibility.
DOH serves as the executive department entrusted with the critical duty of ensuring access to essential public health services for all Filipinos.
In the following article, we will delve into the multifaceted role of the DOH, exploring its commitment to providing high-quality healthcare, its mandate to regulate all health services and products, and its profound influence as the government’s foremost technical authority on health.
Situated at the San Lazaro Compound along Rizal Avenue in Manila, the DOH is not only a geographical hub but also a hub of unwavering dedication to the health and well-being of the Filipino people.
Table of Contents
History and Founding of DOH
Citation: Department of Health Milestones (https://doh.gov.ph/milestones)
Mission, Vision & Mandate
The vision statement outlines a desirable future scenario for the healthcare situation in the Philippines. It states that “Filipinos are among the healthiest people in Southeast Asia by 2022, and Asia by 2040.”
This means that the goal is for the people of the Philippines to be some of the healthiest in Southeast Asia by the year 2022 and to maintain this high level of healthiness to the extent that by 2040, they are among the healthiest in the larger continent of Asia.
This vision emphasizes the importance of improving the overall health and well-being of the Filipino population, indicating a commitment to enhancing healthcare services and promoting healthier lifestyles and well-being among the people.
The mission statement describes the purpose and direction of the organization, in this case, the healthcare system in the Philippines. The mission is “To lead the country in the development of a productive, resilient, equitable, and people-centered health system for Universal Health Care.”
Breaking it down:
- Lead the country: This mission means that the healthcare system aims to take a prominent and guiding role in the nation’s health-related efforts. It aspires to be at the forefront of healthcare development.
- Development of a productive health system: This part of the mission suggests a commitment to making the healthcare system efficient and effective. It’s about ensuring that healthcare resources are used optimally to benefit the people.
- Development of a resilient health system: Resilience in healthcare means the ability to adapt and respond to challenges, such as diseases or disasters. This mission highlights the importance of making the healthcare system robust and adaptable.
- Development of an equitable health system: Equitable healthcare means that all people have fair and equal access to healthcare services, regardless of their economic or social status. This mission emphasizes the importance of fairness in healthcare provision.
- Development of a people-centered health system: This aspect of the mission indicates that the healthcare system aims to put the needs and well-being of the people at the center of its activities. It focuses on providing services and solutions that are in the best interest of the population.
- For Universal Health Care: The overarching goal of this mission is to work towards achieving universal healthcare, where every citizen has access to essential healthcare services without financial hardship. This aligns with the broader aim of improving the health of the Filipino people, as stated in the vision.
In summary, the vision and mission statements together articulate a commitment to improving the health and well-being of the Filipino population and leading the country towards a future where the people are among the healthiest in Southeast Asia and Asia as a whole, with a focus on an efficient, adaptable, equitable, and people-centered healthcare system.
At present, the department is headed by the Secretary of Health, with eight undersecretaries and eight assistant secretaries heading the following teams:
Office of the Secretary
- Hon. Teodoro “Ted” J. Herbosa, M.D., FPCS, FPCEP – Secretary of Health
- Maria Rosario S. Vergeire, M.D., MPH, CESO II – Public Health Services Team
- Lilibeth C. David, M.D., MPH, MPM, CESO I – Health Systems Development Team
- Ma. Carolina Vidal-Taino, CPA, MGM, CESO I – Management Services Team
- Abdullah B. Dumama Jr., M.D., MPA, CESO I – Mindanao Field Implementation and Coordination Team
- Police Gen. Camilo Pancratius P. Cascolan (Ret.), MPM, CESE – Visayas Field Implementaion and Coordination Team
- Kenneth G. Ronquillo, M.D., MPHM, CESO III – Governance and Organizational Development Team
- Nestor F. Santiago Jr., M.D., MPHC, MHSA, CESO II – NCR and South Luzon Field Implementation and Coordination Team
- Maria Francia Miciano-Laxamana, M.D., MHSA, CHS – Special Concerns Team
- Enrique A. Tayag, M.D., PHSAE, FPSMID, CESO III – North and Central Luzon Field Implementation and Coordination Team
- Gloria J. Balboa, M.D., MPH, MHA, CEO VI, CESO III – Undersecretary of Health and Chief of Staff, Office of the Secretary
- Beverly Lorraine C. Ho, M.D., MPH – Public Health Services Team B
- Atty. Charade B. Mercado-Grande, MPSA – Health Facility and Patient Support Team
- Maylene M. Beltran, MPA, CESO III – Public Health Services Team A
- Atty. Frances Mae Cherryl K. Ontalan – Office of the Secretary Proper
- Leonita P. Gorgolon, M.D., MHA, MCHM, CEO VI, CESE – Management Services Team
Citation: Department of Health (Philippines). (2020, December 8). Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_Health_(Philippines)
Career Opportunities of DOH
The Department of Health (DOH) offers a diverse range of career opportunities within the healthcare sector in the Philippines.
As a vital government agency responsible for public health, the DOH provides positions for healthcare professionals, including doctors, nurses, and allied health practitioners, who can work in various capacities, from public health management to clinical care.
Additionally, non-medical roles are available in fields such as health administration, epidemiology, health policy, and health education.
These opportunities extend from the national level to regional and local health offices, making the DOH an inclusive and dynamic employer for those looking to make a significant impact on public health and contribute to the betterment of healthcare services in the country.
Main Office Contact Information
San Lazaro Compound, Tayuman, Sta. Cruz, Manila
Telephone No. (632) 8651-7800
DOH Call Center
Telephone No: (632) 8651-7800 local 5003-5004
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following agencies and councils are attached to the DOH for policy and program coordination:
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- National Nutrition Council (NNC)
- Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PHIC; PhilHealth)
- Philippine Institute for Traditional and Alternative Health Care (PITAHC)
- Philippine National AIDS Council (PNAC)
In summary, the Department of Health (DOH) is the key player in public health in the Philippines, aiming to make Filipinos some of the healthiest people in Southeast Asia by 2022 and Asia by 2040.
The DOH offers diverse career opportunities in healthcare and administration, contributing to its mission of providing high-quality healthcare and ensuring universal access to health services.
Located at the heart of Manila, the DOH is dedicated to improving the well-being of the Filipino population, working closely with attached agencies to achieve its mission.
- Department of Health (Philippines). (2020, December 8). Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_of_Health_(Philippines)
- Executive Committee | Department of Health website. (n.d.). Doh.gov.ph. https://doh.gov.ph/executive-committee-directory
- Mission and Vision | Department of Health website. (2012). Doh.gov.ph. https://doh.gov.ph/mission-vision
- Milestones | Department of Health website. (n.d.). Doh.gov.ph. https://doh.gov.ph/milestones