Sudan is a country in northeastern Africa. It’s the third-largest country on the continent and is bordered by Egypt to the north, the Red Sea to the northeast, Eritrea and Ethiopia to the east, South Sudan to the south, the Central African Republic to the southwest, Chad to the west, and Libya to the northwest.
The capital city is Khartoum. Sudan has a diverse cultural and ethnic makeup, and it has experienced significant political and social changes over the years.
Sudan’s economy is diverse, with agriculture, services, and natural resources playing significant roles.
Agriculture is a key sector, employing a large portion of the population and contributing to the country’s food production. The country is known for its cultivation of crops like sorghum, millet, and wheat.
Attention to all Overseas Filipino Workers and concerned parties: In light of the ongoing violence in South Sudan, the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) has instituted a temporary ban on the deployment of OFWs to the affected region.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is actively involved in mass evacuation efforts to ensure the safe return of OFWs from Sudan. As of May 5, 2023, there are still 146 OFWs in Sudan.
We advise all affected individuals to stay informed and reach out to the DFA for necessary assistance.
Table of Contents
Accredited Manpower Agencies to Sudan
Phil-Tex Staffing Services International Inc. is the sole accredited manpower agency in the Philippines who has job order listed in the Department of Migrant Worker website bound to Sudan.
They’ve got just one job order, and it’s a special one—with the University of Medical Sciences and Technology.
Helpful Tips in Choosing the Right Agency
In this scenario, with Phil-Tex Staffing Services International Inc. being the sole accredited agency, it’s crucial to make informed decisions.
Here are seven practical tips to guide aspiring OFWs in choosing the right path with confidence.
- Verify Accreditation: Ensure that Phil-Tex Staffing Services International Inc. is duly accredited by the relevant government agencies. Check for official documentation and certifications to confirm their legitimacy.
- Research the Employer: Since there’s only one job order with the University of Medical Sciences and Technology, take the time to research the institution. Understand the working environment, reputation, and any specific requirements for the role.
- Review Contract Details: Carefully go through the terms of the employment contract offered by Phil-Tex. Pay attention to salary, benefits, work hours, and any other conditions. Seek clarification on anything that is unclear.
- Understand Job Responsibilities: Get a clear understanding of the job responsibilities associated with the position at the University of Medical Sciences and Technology. Ensure that your skills and expectations align with the requirements of the role.
- Financial Planning: The country might have a different cost of living compared to the Philippines. Calculate your expected expenses and ensure that the offered salary is sufficient to cover your living costs and savings.
- Consult with Others: Reach out to individuals who have worked with Phil-Tex Staffing Services International Inc. or have experience. Their insights can provide valuable information about the agency, working conditions, and living in Sudan.
- Stay Informed about Sudan: Keep yourself updated on the current situation. Understand the cultural nuances, any safety concerns, and the overall socio-political landscape. Stay informed through reliable news sources and government advisories.
Remember, thorough research and a proactive approach will empower you to make informed decisions about your overseas employment.
What Type of Jobs Filipinos Get Hired in Sudan
In Sudan, Filipinos find diverse opportunities across various sectors, showcasing the breadth of skills they bring to the global workforce.
While the job market may vary, here are some common areas where Filipinos often secure employment:
- Healthcare and Education: With the demand for skilled professionals in the healthcare and education sectors, Filipinos may find roles as nurses, teachers, or administrative staff in institutions like hospitals and universities.
- Technical and Engineering Roles: Sudan’s growing infrastructure requires expertise in technical and engineering fields. Filipinos with backgrounds in civil engineering, information technology, and related disciplines may find rewarding opportunities.
- Agriculture and Farming: Given the country’s reliance on agriculture, Filipinos with expertise in farming, agriculture management, and related fields may find roles in agribusinesses or on farms.
- Hospitality and Tourism: As Sudan develops its tourism sector, Filipinos with experience in hospitality, customer service, and tourism management may secure positions in hotels, resorts, or travel agencies.
- Construction and Skilled Trades: The construction industry in Sudan is dynamic, providing opportunities for Filipinos with skills in carpentry, masonry, and other trades essential to infrastructure development.
- Information Technology (IT) and Telecommunications: With the global demand for IT professionals, Filipinos with expertise in software development, network administration, and telecommunications may find roles in its growing tech sector.
- Domestic Work and Caregiving: Filipinos are often sought after for roles in domestic work and caregiving. These positions may include housekeeping, child care, or elderly care, catering to the needs of families or individuals.
It’s important for aspiring OFWs to align their skills and interests with the specific demands of the job market.
Right now, the government says no to sending Filipino workers to South Sudan because of the ongoing troubles there.
Our officials are busy helping bring back our fellow Filipinos from Sudan due to the challenges. As of May 5, 2023, there were still 146 Filipinos in Sudan.
The situation is complicated, tied to Sudan splitting from South Sudan and the wars that happened before the change in leadership.