More relief supplies are on their way to typhoon-ravaged Visayas and Mindanao, following the Chinese government’s delivery of 150,000 sacks of rice to the Philippine government on Wednesday.
The 4,725 metric tons of goods bring the Chinese government’s total rice donation to the Philippines to 10,000 metric tons, which came as the Philippines launched relief efforts in the aftermath of Typhoon Odette, which hit the country last week.
Emmanuel Privado, Director of Social Welfare and Development, stated during the turnover in Pasay, “the arrival of this China rice is so timely that we could use them in the repacking of food packs for the victims of Typhoon Odette. On behalf of the Philippine government, we express our heartfelt gratitude to the people of the People’s Republic of China for their generosity and untiring support to the Philippines.”
The rice donation is expected to benefit at least 756,000 families in Siargao, Dinagat Islands, Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental and Occidental, Bacolod, Iloilo, and Palawan.
Chinese Ambassador Huang Xilian, who formally handed over the rice aid, stated that at least 1,500 metric tons (MT) of the donation are already in Cebu, with another 3,225 MT in Manila ready for immediate deployment.
“I am relieved to see that in response to the disaster, the Philippine government and people have promptly launched orderly and efficient rescue and relief operations. I look forward to the China-aided rice playing its role in the relief,” he said.
The super typhoon has affected over 1.3 million people in Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Davao, Soccsksargen, and Caraga, as well as the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
Transportation, according to Privado, remained a challenge in reaching typhoon victims, but more than 20 trucks carrying 1,000 to 1,400 food packs each were on their way to various areas in the Visayas and Mindanao.
“Ngayon talaga nagpi-pile ang trucks sa ports (Right now trucks piled up in ports). But our deliveries are continuous,” he said in an interview.
Three trucks bound for Bohol and Dumaguete left the Department of Social Welfare and Development’s National Resource Operations Center in Pasay on Wednesday morning.