Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea welcomes skilled and talented students, researchers, and technical individuals to pursue their MS, PhD, and MS leading to PhD under the GIST Scholarship 2023. The GIST scholarship for international students in Korea provides them with a bright chance to create a strong research base for further development of science and technology. Moreover, the best scholarship in South Korea’s top universities provides opportunities to the students to work and promote collaborative foreign and domestic research programs in the industrial sector as well as in academia.
The GIST scholars are equipped with world-class knowledge and skills regarding science and technology through research-oriented projects and courses. Furthermore, GIST’s fully-funded scholarship is a project of the university with the South Korean Ministry of Science and Technology. The ministry provides full financial support to the students of GIST in order to promote scientific technologists and encourage them toward more innovations. For this, the university offers the students multiple fields of study related to science, technology, and research. The GIST university courses include Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Material Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Earth Science and Environmental Engineering, Life Science, Physics and Photon Science, Chemistry and Biomedical Science, Nanobio Materials and Electronics, Integrated Technology, and Artificial Intelligence.
GIST was established by Korean Government in 1993 and since then the institute has been home to world-class researchers and sciencetists. Moreover, the top-notch lecturers of Korean institutes come from GIST. GIST has proved itself as the first national university in Korea which has adopted an innovative educational system based on a comprehensive and foundational science curriculum. Moreover, GIST is the first Korean university that has made a thesis quality certification mandatory thing. That is why the institute is ranked 1st in the number of citations of professors in South Korea for 14 consecutive years and also the GIST is ranked 4th in QS World University Ranking.
The GIST Scholarships for MS and PhD students is a milestone towards achieving the goal of the institute i.e. A proud creator of future science and technology. In order to lead in the world, all classes are taught in English, and the thesis is also written in the English language. GIST understands the importance of learning and utilizing an international language for better collaboration and development. The scholars of the GIST international scholarship in South Korea will learn the Korean culture while staying for a maximum of three, seven, or eight years for MS, PhD, or Integrated MS/PhD programs respectively. The following comprehensively explains the financial benefits along with the eligibility criteria and an understandable procedure to apply.
This Scholarship is Hosted by the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST) in the South Korea
- Master’s degree program
- PhD degree program
- Integrated MS and PhD Program
Benefits of the GIST Scholarship in South Korea
- All international students will be getting 100% support in the tuition fee i.e. the tuition fee will be waived off.
- MS students will be given a monthly stipend of 140,000 Won/ Php 5,777.32.
- PhD students will be given a monthly stipend of 295,000 Won/ Php 12,173.64.
- Both MS and PhD students will be given a meal allowance of 100,000 Won/ Php 4,126.66. (Note: Students have to complete at least 9 credits in the previous semester in order to get student and meal allowance).
- International student allowance of 120,000 Won/ Php 5,158.32 will be given to both MS and PhD students, however, the student has to maintain a 3 or higher GPA out of 4.5 in the previous semester.
- All MS students participating in research projects will get a research assistantship of 4,785,384 won/ Php 197,476.47 per year while PhD students participating in research projects will get a research assistantship of 12,263,262 won/ Php 506,062.99 per year.
- A one-way flight to Korea will be reimbursed.
- 60% of national health insurance will be covered. Health insurance also includes annual medical checkups.
Eligibility Criteria of the GIST Scholarship 2023 in South Korea
- The applicant must or expect to hold a final degree before enrollment at GIST.
- The applicant’s bachelor’s degree must be equivalent to a Korean bachelor’s degree.
- The applicant must be an international student.
- The applicant must be proficient in the English language.
How to apply for the GIST Scholarship 2023?
- The applicant has to apply online for the GIST South Korea scholarship.
- The applicant has to submit a matriculation fee of 680,000 however, the matriculation fee can be waived off on the recommendation of the dean/head of the department/college.
- In order to apply successfully, all the applicants must carefully fill out the GIST online application form.
- Don’t leave blanks instead write NA.
Documents Required for the GIST Scholarships 2023
- Official degrees and transcripts are required. Apostille is preferred or even notarized copies are acceptable.
- Two letters of recommendation must have the sign and stamps of the recommenders.
- The recommenders do not have to send the letters on their own or separately.
- Official English language test report i.e. TOEFL (BT) 80 / TOEFL (PBT) 550 / IELTS 6.5 / TOEIC 750 / NEW TEPS 327 is the requirement. In case you do not get your test result in time. Your home university can give a professional English language proficiency certificate.
- A copy of the applicant’s passport is required.
The application deadline for the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology scholarship in South Korea 2022 is October 14, 2022.
The Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST) was established by the South Korean government in 1993 as a research-oriented graduate school to train highly skilled scientists and researchers, to create a strong research base for further development of advanced science and technology, and to promote collaborative foreign and domestic research programs within industry and academia. According to a 2012 news article in the Korea JoongAng Daily, "All classes are taught in English, and master’s and doctoral thesis are all written in English. Doctoral students only receive their degrees if they have published more than one work as the first author in scientific journals, encouraging them to be research leaders. And in 2001, GIST became the first Korean university to introduce a thesis quality certification [program], gaining attention from the science field and the media."
Then in 2010, GIST College was established at GIST to offer Korea's first liberal arts oriented science curriculum for undergraduate students. According to GIST College Professor Kyung-Deok Roh, "GIST College is the only university that pursues and practices the philosophy of liberal arts education in Korea. However, GIST College has unique traits that separate it from conventional liberal arts colleges. It is because GIST first started out as a research-oriented graduate school, and as such its undergraduate education can utilize and benefit from the knowledge, infrastructure, and expertise that the research institution already possesses. In other words, GIST College, while upholding liberal arts as the core of its undergraduate education, can also work closely with the graduate school for deeper-level education and research. This is a feature that makes GIST College all the more special."
Source: GIST International Admission